Date: Nov. 8, 2019
Event: Lucas Oil 150 (Race 22 of 23)
Series: NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series
Location: ISM Raceway in Avondale, Ariz. (one-mile oval)
Format: Three Segments; 45 laps/45 laps/60 laps
Start/Finish: 9th /14th (Running, completed 150 of 150 laps)
Winner: Stewart Friesen of Halmar-Friesen Racing (Chevrolet)
Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM team took the checkered flag in 14th on Friday at ISM Raceway in Avondale, Ariz. On Friday morning, Gilliland was ninth in NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series first practice and sixth in final practice. In one round of single-truck qualifying on Friday afternoon, Gilliland earned the ninth starting spot.
Gilliland spent much of the race in the top-10, but battled a tight handling condition in his No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM Tundra and fell out of the top-10 in the final stage, ultimately finishing 14th.
Stage One Recap:
- In one round of single-vehicle qualifying, Gilliland ran a lap of 27.130 seconds and 132.694 mph, earning the ninth starting position.
- Gilliland remained in the top-10 throughout the first stage, reporting that his Tundra was tight in the center of the corner and loose in the entry, but was getting better as he ran.
- Crew chief Wes Ward brought the young driver to pit road following the first stage, for four Goodyear tires and Sunoco fuel as well as an adjustment.
Stage Two Recap:
- Gilliland began the second stage in 14th, as several competitors stayed out during the stage break.
- He quickly climbed back into the top-10, where he remained for the rest of the stage.
- At the conclusion of the second stage, Gilliland crossed the finish line in seventh.
- He reported to Ward that his Tundra had no right front turn and Ward brought him in for another four tires and fuel, as well as an air pressure adjustment.
Stage Three Recap
- Gilliland began the final stage in ninth after a four-tire pit stop.
- As the final laps wound down, the No. 4 fell back fighting a difficult handling condition.
- The young driver eventually crossed the finish line in 14th.
Todd Gilliland, driver of the No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports:
Talk about your night.
“We started out promising. I thought we were running better than we expected to. Just as the race went on, we got a lot tighter on exit. We got looser on entry that last run. Kind of felt the handling more after that very first run. I think I could have done a better job telling [crew chief] Wes [Ward] and the crew what I needed on adjustments and I don’t know, just the details. We had speed to begin with and it was still a good weekend in our JBL Tundra until the very last stage. Just need to keep up the little bit of momentum we’ve got going into Miami and have a good weekend there.”
Lucas Oil 150 Recap:
- Stewart Friesen won the race with Brandon Jones, Chandler Smith, Ben Rhodes and Grant Enfinger rounding out the top-five finishers.
- The race featured five cautions for 30 laps and nine lead changes among seven drivers.
How Gilliland’s KBM Teammates Fared:
Harrison Burton, driver of the No. 18 Toyota Tundra, finished 7th
Chandler Smith, driver of the No. 46 Toyota Tundra, finished 3rd
Brandon Jones, driver of the No. 51 Toyota Tundra, finished 2nd
NGOTS Championship Standings: Gilliland gained another spot and is now 10th in NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series driver points standings after 22 races in the 2019 season.
Todd Gilliland and the No. 4 JBL/SiriusXM team will return on Friday, Nov. 15 at Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway for the series finale. Live coverage of the event begins at 8 p.m. EST on FS1.