Date: Nov. 5, 2021
Event: Lucas Oil 150 (Race 22 of 22, Championship 4)
Series: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Location: Phoenix (Ariz.) Raceway (one-mile oval)
Format: Three Stages; 45 laps/45 laps/60 laps
Start/Finish: 23rd /18th (Running, completed 15o of 150 laps)
Winner: Chandler Smith of Kyle Busch Motorsports (Toyota)
Drew Dollar made his eighth career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start Friday night at Phoenix Raceway. Throughout his first seven starts of the season, Dollar posted an average finish of 25.7 but capped off the year with an 18th-place finish.
Dollar battled handling issues throughout the opening stage of the Lucas Oil 150 but after making adjustments at the end of stage one, Dollar would begin to make progress throughout the race. The 20-year-old driver made his way up to 16th-position with 40 laps remaining but ultimately finished the race in 18th, tallying his third top-20 of the season.
Stage One Recap:
- Drew Dollar qualified 23rd for his eighth career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series start with a lap time of 27.472 seconds.
- Midway through the first stage, Dollar came over the radio and communicated to crew chief Mardy Lindley that his No. 51 Sunbelt Rentals Tundra was “way too tight”.
- After dealing with handling issues throughout the first 45 laps of the race, Dollar finished the first stage in 27th.
Stage Two Recap:
- Dollar brought his No. 51 Tundra down pit road between stages to get four tires and fuel as well as adjustments to fix the handling of his truck.
- As the middle stage carried on, Dollar began to make progress throughout the field and worked his way up to 22nd just fifteen laps into the stage.
- Dollar was scored 22nd as the green-and-white checkered came out to end Stage Two.
Final Stage Recap:
- Dollar and the No. 51 team gained two spots on pit road during their final pit stop between stages.
- The 20-year-old driver restarted the final stage in 20th and would make his way up to 16th just 20 laps into the third and final stage.
- Dollar finished the race in 18th, picking up his third top-20 finish of the season.
Lucas Oil 150 Recap:
- Chandler Smith picked up the second win of his NASCAR Camping World Truck Series career. Stewart Friesen, Ben Rhodes, Sheldon Creed, and Zane Smith rounded out the top-five finishers.
- Ben Rhodes of ThorSport Racing captured the 2021 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series championship.
- There were four cautions for 25 laps. There were 11 lead changes among three drivers.
How Dollar’s KBM Teammates Fared:
- Chandler Smith, driver of the No. 18 Toyota, finished first.
- John Hunter Nemechek, driver of the No. 4 Toyota, finished seventh.
Camping World Trucks Owner Championship Standings:
The No. 51 team was eliminated from the NASCAR Camping World Truck Owner’s Championship after the Round of 10 and finished the season in 10th-place after recording three wins and five stage wins in 2021.