Date: Aug. 15, 2019
Event: UNOH 200 (Race 17 of 23)
Series: NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series
Location: Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (0.533-mile oval)
Format: Three Stages; 55 laps/55 laps/90 laps
Start/Finish: 10th/23rd (Running, completed 192 of 200 laps)
Winner: Brett Moffitt of GMS Racing (Chevrolet)
Harrison Burton and the Safelite AutoGlass team experienced a parts failure just before the end of Stage Two in Thursday night’s UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway and were forced to remain on pit road for several laps to address the issue. Burton would return to the track scored seven laps down in the 27th position. Attrition would allow the No. 18 team to gain spots in the closing laps of the race and end the night with a 23rd-place finish.
Stage One Recap:
- Burton earned the 10th starting position for the 200-lap event, but fell back one spot to 11th once the green flag waved.
- The Safelite Tundra restarted 11th for a lap-10 restart and by the time the field crossed the stripe at lap 55 to complete the opening stage had fallen back to 13th as he battled handling issues.
Stage Two Recap:
- Veteran crew chief Mike Hillman Jr. ordered up a four-tire and fuel stop with a major trackbar adjustment in an effort to improve the handling of the No. 18 Toyota.
- Burton was scored in the 12h position when Stage Two went green on lap 67. He maintained the 12th spot during two early cautions in Stage Two.
- On lap 90 he had fallen back one spot to 13th when he communicated that something weird was going on with his Safelite Tundra.
- Hillman Jr. communicated to his young driver that there was an issue with the left-rear shock and to try to take care of the truck until the end of Stage Two in an effort to keep from going a lap down.
- Burton was able to maintain his position on the lead lap and crossed the stripe 18th when the stage came to a close on lap 110.
Final Stage Recap:
- After lengthy repairs under caution, Burton returned to the track scored 27th, seven laps down, as the field took the green to start the Final Stage on lap 123.
- Over the course of the seven cautions in the Final Stage, the Safelite Tundra was able to slowly move up the running order as other competitors went to the garage and ended the night scored in the 23rd position.
UNOH 200 Recap:
- Defending series champion Brett Moffitt opened this year’s playoffs with a victory. It was his third victory of 2019 and the 10th of his Gander Trucks career. KBM driver Chandler Smith finished 0.743 seconds behind Moffitt in the runner-up spot. Ross Chastain, Stewart Friesen and Grant Enfinger rounded out the top-five finishers.
- The race featured 12 cautions for a total of 73 laps. There were nine lead changes among three drivers.
How Burton’s KBM Teammates Fared:
- Chandler Smith, driver of the No. 51 Toyota, finished second
- Todd Gilliland, driver of the No. 4 Toyota, finished ninth
- Raphael Lessard, driver of the No. 46 Toyota, finished 12th
Gander Trucks Driver Standings:
Burton maintained the 10th position in the Gander Trucks driver point standings.
Burton will be behind the wheel of the No. 18 Safelite AutoGlass Tundra when the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series resumes action Aug. 25 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ont. Live coverage of the race begins Sunday at 2:30 p.m. ET on FS1.