Date: March 4, 2017
Event: Active Pest Control 200 (Race 2 of 23)
Series: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Location: Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway (1.54-mile oval)
Format: Three Segments; 40 laps/40 laps/50 laps
Start/Finish: 10th / 14th (running, completed 130 of 130 laps)
Winner: Christopher Bell of Kyle Busch Motorsports (Toyota)
Noah Gragson overcame an early mistake to work his way up through the field throughout the Active Pest Control 200 at Atlanta Motor Speedway to finish 14th and learn from his experiences during the race.
Segment One Recap:
- Gragson started 10th but spun while going three-wide in turn four to complete the first lap of the race. Luckily there was no damage to the No. 18 Switch Tundra and Gragson was able to continue. He restarted the race back in 29th and was then faced with radio issues. He could hear the team and spotter, but the team could not hear him. His KBM crew swapped out radios during the next caution which fixed the situation. Gragson got in a rhythm and was able to finish the first segment 21st.
Segment Two Recap:
- After pitting for four tires and fuel, Gragson started the second 40-lap segment in 18th. With a wedge adjustment, the Switch Tundra had a better balance and Gragson was able to maintain 14th place where he finished the segment.
Segment Three Recap:
- Gragson spent much of the third segment working on the handling of the truck and gaining experience as he logged laps. He fell back to 18th with 30 laps to go, but an adjustment on his final pit stop under caution on lap 108 improved the loose condition. He worked his way back up to 14th place where he finished the race.
Talk about your race?
“I let my guys down in the beginning. They executed really well on pit road and we had a really fast Switch Tundra. I just made a mistake early trying too hard. I’ll use it as a learning experience. We were able to rally back into the top 15. My Kyle Busch Motorsports team worked hard all day and gave me 100 percent. I’ll learn from this and go on to Martinsville next month.”
Active Pest Control 200 Recap:
- Christopher Bell won the race for his third victory in 32 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts. Matt Crafton was second, followed by Johnny Sauter, Ben Rhodes and Chase Elliott rounded out the top-five finishers.
- The race featured eight cautions for a total of 38 laps. There were six lead changes among four drivers. KBM’s Christopher Bell lead three times for 99 laps and Kyle Busch led once for 25 laps.
How Gragson’s KBM Teammates Fared:
Christopher Bell, driver of the No. 4 Toyota, finished first
Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 51 Toyota, finished 26th
NCWTS Driver Championship Standings:
Gragson gained five positions, moving up to 17th in the Truck Series Championship Standings, 59 points out of first.
The Truck Series takes a month off before Gragson will be back behind the wheel of the No. 18 Switch Tundra Saturday, April 1 at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. Live coverage of the Alpha Energy Solutions 250 begins with the NCWTS Setup Show at 2:30 p.m. ET.